Frequently Asked Questions
Powershop and CERES
What is the connection between Powershop and CERES?
Powershop are chuffed to be able provide ethical, environmentally friendly and carbon neutral electricity to the CERES park in Brunswick East and now thrilled to support CERES’ goal to achieve zero net emissions, by providing supporters with a great offer. Switch your electricity provider to Powershop and not only do you help the planet, but you help CERES reach their goal.
What benefit does CERES receive if I switch?
CERES will receive a financial contribution from Powershop for every person who switches their electricity to Powershop. The financial contribution will go towards the installation of solar panels on available roof spaces at CERES. These solar panels are the first step towards reaching 40% renewable energy by 2020, and a key project in the plan to reach zero net emissions.
Who is Powershop?
- Powershop are Australia’s greenest power company (Greenpeace Green Electricity Guide, 2014 & 2015) and first and only 100% carbon neutral electricity retailer at no extra cost to you – meaning you can have an even more positive impact on the environment.
- Powershop’s parent company, Meridian Energy, are Australasia’s largest 100% renewable energy producer with no investments in fossil fuels.
- Powershop has super competitive rates and offers a discount off your entire bill. This includes both your usage and your supply charges.
- Powershop has the same great deal for all customers and an unwavering policy towards pricing fairness. Their discounts and rates don’t expire when you aren’t looking and all of their customers have access to the same discount and rates no matter when they sign up.
- Powershop does not lock customers into a contract or charge exit fees, however if your current provider does Powershop will even cover the cost of any exit fees (up to $75).
How long has Powershop been operating?
Powershop launched in Victoria in late 2013 and in NSW in March 2015, and has over 80,000 customers. It began in New Zealand five years ago so is already well established. Powershop may expand to other Australian states in the future.
What does ‘online power company’ mean?
Powershop does not issue any paper bills. You can monitor your electricity usage and pay your bills online or on your mobile with an easy to use app. You can even pre-purchase power and lock in bigger discounts by buying in advance.
Where is Powershop available?
Currently Powershop is only available to people living in Victoria and NSW.
Is it cheaper? Aren’t renewables more expensive?
Renewable energy is actually pushing the price of electricity down. This is because once a renewable energy plant is built, it is very low-cost to run. When the wind is blowing, other power generators will switch off because their energy is too expensive for the market. This pushes down the wholesale cost of electricity for everyone. So, by supporting renewables, you’re helping bring energy prices down.
If you want to know more, here is a video that explains the impact of renewable energy on wholesale electricity prices.
Know your electricity in Australia – GreenPower, the RET, and being carbon neutral
Where does my electricity come from?
No matter which energy retailer you buy your electricity from, it all comes from the same central pool of electricity, as energy retailers in Australia all buy their electricity from the National Electricity Market (NEM).
Electricity is produced by power plants which are connected directly to the NEM. Energy from renewable sources and from fossil fuels are both fed into the NEM. The government mandates that a certain percentage of the electricity in the NEM comes from renewable sources through the Renewable Energy Target .
What is the source of Powershop’s electricity?
Powershop buys its electricity, like all retailers, from the NEM. However, Powershop is backed by Meridian Energy which own and run two wind farms in Australia, Mt Millar and Mt Mercer.
Mt Millar is situated on the Eyre Peninsular in South Australia and produces around 180 GWh of renewable energy per year. Mt Mercer is near Ballarat in Victoria and generates enough electricity to supply over 100,000 households. These wind farms produce more renewable power than Powershop’s customers consume.
Every dollar spent purchasing power from Powershop helps support renewable energy generation in Australasia.
How is Powershop a ‘greener’ power company?
There are three key reasons why Powershop is greener than other retailers:
1. It is owned by a 100% renewable energy company, meaning it invests the money that it makes in renewable energy development, not fossil fuels.
2. It is 100% carbon neutral, so for all of the electricity that it purchases from the National Electricity Market (NEM) it buys an equivalent amount of UN-recognised carbon certificates to offset those emissions.
3. Finally, it actively supports the renewable energy market in Australia through lobbying for key policies such as the Renewable Energy Target (RET) and providing a range of GreenPower options to customers.
So why would I buy GreenPower?
When you purchase 100% GreenPower from Powershop you are increasing the demand for renewable energy in Australia.
Every retailer in Australia is required to purchase a number of Renewable Energy Certificates to comply with Australian legislation. These certificates are what help drive renewable energy development in Australia.
When you buy GreenPower, you force your retailer to buy more Renewable Energy Certificates than mandated, essentially increasing the demand for renewable energy, which should drive further investment in renewables in Australia.
What is the Renewable Energy Target (RET)?
The Renewable Energy Target is a policy that encourages the development of renewable energy in Australia. It does this by requiring certain businesses, mainly electricity retailers, to purchase a certain number of Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). RECs are created by renewable energy power stations, such as wind farms, that are accredited by the Clean Energy Regulator.
What if I’m on a contract and want to switch?
Powershop does not lock its customers into contracts or charge exit fees. If your current retailer charges exit fees, Powershop will cover you if you are charged for switching (up to $75 per meter). Switching online takes under 5 minutes and you will not have to have that awkward conversation with the energy retailer you are dumping!
Do I need to contact my existing power company?
No, Powershop takes care of the entire switching process for you. You may receive a phone call or letter from your existing power company asking for you to remain with them, but remember, you’ve made the right choice. When your previous retailer asks you why you switched, you could say it was to support renewable energy in Australia.
What if I live in a sharehouse?
It’s your job to get your buddies on board! You will all need to use the same provider, but we’re pretty confident that once you tell them all the good bits, they’ll be happy to switch.
Can I switch my gas account too?
Powershop currently only provides electricity, not gas. You can check the Victorian Government’s website at for a comparison of gas providers in Victoria and in NSW. If you have both your accounts with one retailer now, switching your electricity will only switch your electricity account.