Site Gardener Volunteering
Volunteer Position Description
The Site Garden team is responsible for the maintenance of all garden spaces on site other than the Honey Lane Market Garden and the community garden plots. Permaculture principles are used in the design of the gardens which consist of a combination of indigenous, native and culinary plants. The site garden team are also responsible for the management and maintenance of several energy, water and waste systems such as composting, worm farms and irrigation.
This volunteer position has been created to support/assist the Site Horticulturalist with the upkeep of these responsibilities, and as an opportunity for sharing skills and strengthening community connection.
Supervisor: Belinda Kennedy
Team: The Habitat Team
Team Leader: Nick Curmi
To assist and support the Site Horticulturalist in maintaining the grounds
Skills / Experience & Personal Qualities:
• Fit and healthy, independent and safety conscious
• Polite and respectful communication skills
• Ability to follow instructions
• Commitment to CERES values and code of behaviour
• Previous experience
• Skills or study in horticulture; permaculture; irrigation; landscape design; composting or other relevant areas
Specific Tasks & Duties:
• Weed maintenance
• Lawn maintenance
• Maintaining compost systems and worm farms
• Watering / maintenance of irrigation and sprinkler systems
• Landscape design
• Opportunities for data entry and research projects
• Gain skills and understanding of permaculture principles, organic gardening, garden maintenance techniques and compost systems
• Physical exercise (no need to go to the gym!)
• Enjoyment of working outdoors
• Opportunity to connect with both the CERES community and like-minded people.
• We are able to provide a written reference for job seekers and work experience opportunities for tertiary/tafe students
Training: You will receive a brief induction on arrival and on-the-job training.
Times / Days: Mondays 10am-3pm Wednesdays 10am-3pm
Commitment Required: A minimum of 3 months is preferred. Volunteers need to commit to at least one of these days per week.
Probation Period: This position commences with a three month probationary period.