Urban Orchard Produce Exchange
Volunteer Position Description
Urban Orchard runs a swap table for local home-grown produce. It takes place every Saturday morning at the CERES Market. CERES Market is a vibrant hub of activity and Urban Orchard adds a special dimension:
- To provide an opportunity for people to utilise otherwise-wasted fruit, vegetables, herbs, etc.
- To create friendships within the neighbourhood and build stronger local communities
- To reduce green waste and pressure on landfill
- To provide healthy in-season food for the community
- To reduce the need to transport produce from outside the city / state / country! – less transport means less fuel burned, hence reduced pollution and greenhouse gas emissions
And for the volunteer behind the table it is a great networking opportunity to meet lots of like-minded people in the area and share information on growing food!
Team: Urban Orchard
Co-ordinator: April Muirden
Objectives: Urban Orchard has a roster of volunteers who attend to the Urban Orchard table one Saturday Morning each month.
Specific Tasks & Duties:
- Bring out the table and other Urban Orchard materials for 9.30am
- Meet people who arrive with produce
- Arrange the produce on the table attractively
- Answer questions about the project
- Put away the table and other Urban Orchard materials after 12.30.
- Access to a variety of produce;
- Meeting like-minded local people;
- Learning and communicating about growing food.
- Training: One session of meeting a volunteer on a Saturday to find out how it all works
Times / Days: Saturdays 9.30am-12.30
Commitment Required: One Saturday morning a month
Skills / Experience:
- Enthusiasm for home grown produce;
- Desire to meet people;
- Ability to share information;
- Manual handling of urban orchard stall materials: including a table, sign, umbrella.
- Moderate physical fitness (capable of lifting a lightweight table)
- Polite interpersonal skills
- Ability to be seated for a long period (eg. 3 hours with short breaks)
- Reliable – to be committed to turning up on time and or to make appropriate arrangements for cover.
- Personable – happy to meet & greet & answer questions from visitors.
- Commitment to CERES and its values (Environmental sustainability, social equity, cultural richness and community participation).
Probation Period: This position commences with a three month probationary period.