Student Programs Sessional Educator
Casual $34.14 per hour
Melbourne – Brunswick East location
CERES is seeking an innovative educator with experience in education program delivery and a passion for inspiring change in young people
About CERES Student Programs
Through experiences in our park, activities in school and online the Student Programs Team nurture practical skills and a love for nature and an appreciation for cultures. Our wide range of student programs offer hands-on educational experiences suited for all ages and connect young people to the natural world and cultures with an emphasis on achievable actions to social and environmental issues. The knowledge gained through these programs can be applied in the classroom or at home, providing a link to the wider community.
Where you come in
This position will work in the Student Programs team and plays an essential role in the CERES School of Nature and Climate team, providing interactive learning experiences for school-aged children in our park and if desired also in-schools.
You will make an impact by:
- Delivering engaging and inspiring activities for visiting school groups
- Guiding students through problem-solving and action planning to create change within their school and home
- Contributing to a dynamic team of leading environmental educators
Does this sound like you?
This role requires:
- Teaching experience to a range of age levels, preferably in environmental and or cultural education programs.
- Ability to communicate and navigate challenging global societal and economic issues with principle and compassion.
- Show personal initiative in the delivery and coordination of day-to-day operations.
- High-level communication and interpersonal skills.
- Valid VIT registration/Working with Children’s Check, or willing to obtain one prior to commencement of employment and proof of double vaccination.
- Classroom teaching in a Primary or Secondary setting or experience teaching for an excursion or incursion provider.
- A car driver’s licence which is valid in Victoria and access to a car / own a car
- Experience in developing engaging education programs, including hands-on activities and pre and post resources for school teachers.
- Qualifications in teaching or similar, but not essential.
- Qualifications in environmental/sustainability sectors are preferred but not essential
Working at CERES and CERES School of Nature & Climate is more than just a job
It’s the feeling of knowing that your work is contributing to making the world a better place and working with others who feel the same.
In addition to a connection to social causes you will have access to:
- Collaborative, values-centred and highly supportive team environment
- Access to all CERES’ unique environments including the park with strong links to the environment and community
- Generous staff discounts across all CERES enterprises and products such as educational programs, FairFood and café purchases at Merri Café.
We’d love to hear from you! Please submit your cover letter addressing the Person Specifications in the Position Description to Kat Young, Student Programs Assistant Manager and resume as one document via the form on this page. Applications close 5pm Friday 29th July.
Please see the full Position Description below.
CERES is committed to providing and maintaining a working environment that is safe and without risk to the health of its employees, consistent with our obligations under Occupational Health and Safety legislation. If you are successful in this role, before the commencement of employment you will need to provide evidence that you are vaccinated against COVID-19, or that you have proof of medical exemption from the vaccine. Acceptable evidence includes a COVID-19 digital certificate downloadable from your myGov account.
At CERES we seek a workforce that is as diverse as our society – in ethnicity, gender, age, sexuality, disability, cultures and beliefs – and reflects the communities we work in. We believe diversity and inclusion are fundamental to our culture and core values and we demonstrate this commitment through all our employment practices. Our inclusive workplace culture contributes to making CERES a great place to work. We actively encourage people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds, people from CALD backgrounds, LGBTIQA+ people, people with a disability and others to apply.