Fundraising for CERES
We are used to working with schools on excursions and incursions, but last year we were supported by Santa Maria College through a fundraiser organised by students.
The college held a three-day Op Shop event as part of its 2022 Environment Week. This student-led initiative came together to donate reusable secondhand clothing, which was sold at the Op Shop. The event was a huge success, with hundreds of students coming to shop each day and raising over $800 for CERES.
The Op Shop provided a fun and engaging way for the Santa Maria community to learn about the benefits of recycling clothing and to see the positive impact that secondhand shopping can have on the environment. To inspire the students, the school displayed images of celebrities who wear secondhand clothes and emphasised the environmental benefits of shopping secondhand. Any leftover clothing was donated to the Remote Op Shop Project, a charity group that provides clothing to remote Aboriginal communities in need.
All proceeds from the Op Shop went directly to CERES. It’s a great example of how our work is only possible thanks to the generosity that exists in our community, helping support our Urban Farm Renewal that was also funded by over 580 generous locals. Stay tuned for updates on this project throughout 2023.
The Santa Maria College Op Shop was a great example of how communities can come together to protect the Earth and promote sustainable practices.
If you are interested in running a fundraiser in your school, sporting club or community organisation for CERES, get in touch with us to partner on your next charitable event.
- Pollination explanation
- Bare-root fruit trees explained
- Garlic planting, CERES style
- Growing tomatoes 1 – choosing the right one for you
- Growing tomatoes 2 – seed-sowing and transplanting
- Growing tomatoes 3 – watering and fertilising
- Growing tomatoes 4 – staking and pruning
- Growing avocado trees
- Seed potatoes – what are they?
- Bare-root strawberry runners
- Growing asparagus
- Bee-friendly gardens
- How to rehome a rooster
- Living without coffee
- CERES Nursery – Educating for food security
- Recipe: Nigethan’s Garlic Dahl
- Meet the Terra Wonder Playspace designer
- What is the significance of Winter Solstice?
- 5 myths we wish were true about CERES
- Smart urban forests at Brunswick East
- Solar projects at Brunswick East
- The Sacred Kingfisher
- From Classroom to Creek
- What happens on a corporate volunteer day?
- The sad loss of our DIG office