Joe's Market Garden Volunteer
Located in Coburg, 2kms north of CERES along the Merri Creek bike path, this two acre plot has been farmed continuously by Chinese and Italian gardeners for over 150 years – Joe’s Market Garden is one of Melbourne’s last surviving inner city market garden.
Supervisor: Emily Connors
Team: Organic Farm
Area Manager: Chris Ennis
Objectives: To grow certified organic produce in an urban environment, that is then distributed locally.
Specific Tasks and Duties:
- Soil Preparation
- Weeding and pest control
- General maintenance within the Joe’s Market Garden area
- Work outdoors and learn about the wonderful world of vegetable growing
- Learn a wide repertoire of weather based conversation starters
- Learn a range of organic gardening skills
- Contribute to providing local organic produce for homes throughout the local community.
Training: Induction & ongoing training will be provided
Times / Days: 9am – 1pm Wednesdays and/or Fridays.
- We ask that volunteers commit to the time specified for a minimum of one day per week for two months.
- We ask that volunteers who cannot attend their nominated shift let us know by phone or email in advance so that we can plan accordingly.
- Should you wish to discontinue your volunteer role with us we ask that you notify us by email.
Skills/experience/ personal qualities required:
- An enthusiastic passion for being part of the CERES local food system and a willingness to help feed our local community!
- A genuine interest and commitment to organic gardening.
- Moderate Fitness. You will need a reasonable level of physical health and mobility suited to undertaking moderately vigorous physical work including bending, using a wheel-barrow and lifting moderate weights.
- A willingness to learn more about organic gardening and the standards needed for saleable produce.
- It is important that you turn up for your shift and communicate (as agreed with the work supervisor) if you can’t make it.
- A commitment to safety and to employ safe working practices as guided by your supervisor is mandatory.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal instructions
- Be able to work both independently and as a part of a team
- Positive attitude and good work ethic
- Be respectful, polite and courteous to fellow volunteers
You need to bring:
- Enthusiasm for organic farming
- Love of the outdoors
- Own boots and gloves
- All tools and materials
- Sunscreen when needed
- Drinking water